Major initiatives for 2016-17
The Major Initiatives reflect the action items from, goals listed in the district Unified Improvement Plan, on going projects and initiatives that will help the district meet its mission. The Initiatives should work through four steps before being removed from the list.
1 Formulate or develop strategies
2 Implement concepts
3 Monitor results
4 Review, refine, make adjustments or manage
Personnel, Operations and Human Resources
- Refine the district mission, vision and core beliefs and present to staff and community.
- Monitor the growth of Professional Learning Communities and leadership teams in the district.
- Manage Certified and Classified Staff evaluation system, District-wide with expectations of 100% participation.
- Work with the Gunnison County Education Association and the 3 x 3 committee to monitor and refine the Master Agreement and the negotiations process.
- Monitor and adjust the Unified Improvement Plans at both the district and building level. Work with principals to set at least one school goal based on the School Performance Framework.
- Continue to refine the district Human Resource policies, procedures, hiring practices and job descriptions.
- Monitor and make adjustments to the technology plan to ensure GWSD students have access to the 21-century tools and the curriculum to ensure 21-century skill development.
- Work with District Leadership and the Pathways Director to formulate strategies, implement and or make adjustments to programs including, ICAP, Online Course offerings, Summer Experience, Vocational, STEAM and Concurrent Enrollment.
- Monitor and refine collaborative agreements with governmental agencies including, WSCU, City of Gunnison, Town of Crested Butte, Marble Charter School, Hinsdale County School District and the Delta-Montrose Technical College.
- Develop strategies to build community understanding of the school district.
- Monitor the state data pipeline information exchange for all reports.
- Work with the Board of Education to monitor, update and adopt policies and regulations for the efficient administration of the affairs of the district.
- Development an administrative handbook as a resource for administrators in the district.
Data Collection, Assessment, Instruction and Curriculum
- Work with district leadership to manage and align district-wide professional development.
- Implement the transition from Pearson Inform database to Alpine Achievement database.
- Continue to manage the Powerschool Program to track and analyze student information.
- Work with principals to review teacher’s use of formative assessments aligned with the State Academic Standards to demonstrate a year’s growth in a year’s time.
- Manage all state and district level assessments, results and data.
- Work with the Pathways Director and the Principals to prepare for the implementation of the new state graduation guidelines.
- Work with principals to monitor curriculum alignment of content areas.
- Monitor and refine grading and record keeping practices.
- Manage the curriculum replacement cycle for the district, involving district and teacher leadership.
- Monitor and review data collections and reporting for October Count, Discipline, Attendance.
Special Services and Populations
- Manage and review the state data pipeline information exchange for all special services reports.
- Review with intention of increasing instructional time on task and appropriate instruction for all sub groups.
- Monitor the ELL instructional recommendations at the building level. Work with building leadership to develop at least one Unified Improvement Plan goal for the ELL population based on School Performance Framework.
- Use the CDE Multi Tiered System of Supports grant to; assist in reviewing and updating the Response to Intervention systems in the district, help provide staff professional development, assist in UIP goal setting, develop strategies to use data to drive intervention and instruction and to reflect on our data collection protocol.
- Manage and monitor the GT, ELL, SPED and Title programs and budgets.
Facilities and Transportation
- Monitor and adjust the safety management program.
- Monitor and adjust the district Emergency Management Plan as needed.
- Monitor the building and grounds maintenance cycle and ensure district facilities are in quality shape.
- Monitor the transportation cycle to ensure the fleet is in safe operating order.
- Monitor and Refine the custodial and maintenance structure to ensure we are providing efficient and effective services.
- Work with district leadership to refine the building security plan.
- Monitor and review data collections and reporting for the CDE Transportation Audit.
- Work with the Superintendent and the Business Manager to monitor student population growth and develop strategies for facility expansion as warranted.
- Work with Superintendent and the Business Manager to formulate strategies that will assist the school district as it explores the concept employee housing.
- Monitor and refine communications systems within the transportation department.
Business and Finance
- Continue to refine financial procedures, systems and protocols for the District.
- Work with the Board of Education, the Administrative Council and staff to develop and monitor a budget that will allow the district to meet Unified Improvement Plan goals and major initiatives.
- Continue to manage and monitor the business practices to ensure fiscal responsibility and transparency.
- Continue to manage the procedures used by the Fund 26 committee.
- Work with district leadership to continue to review and refine the district salary schedules.
- Continue to monitor and review spending, staffing and student patterns across the district.
- Monitor and refine the district foodservice program while promoting nutrition, decreasing costs and increasing compliance.
- Review and Refine the current Health Insurance program for employees to ensure ACA compliance and cost effectiveness.
- Manage and review the state data pipeline information exchange for all October Count and Finance reports.
- Manage and review the financial Audit and the Colorado Department of Education Audit.
- Continue to monitor the Negative Factor and work with the Cabinet and ADCO to develop strategies to assist in managing the negative impact on our school district.
- Review and develop strategies to improve the district procurement policies.